Parks Township, Pennsylvania Parks Township, Pennsylvania Parks Township, Pennsylvania Parks Township, Pennsylvania Parks Township, Pennsylvania
Meeting Date : Monday August 20th, 2018
Meeting Minutes

Parks Township

Board of Supervisors

August 20, 2018

The Parks Township Board of Supervisors held their regular monthly meeting on August 20, 2018 at 7:00 pm in the Community Building, 26 Jackson Street, North Vandergrift.

MEMBERS PRESENT:            F. L. Shannon, Chairman                                                                                                  Thomas M. Filo, III, Vice-Chairman                                                                                                     Gregory Artman, Member                                                                                               Mary E. Ralston, Secretary-Treasurer

VISITORS PRESENT:             Joe Seren, Jeff Retter, Rich Simpson, Paul Duriancik, Jay Start, Ken Reynolds

OTHERS PRESENT:                Chief Doug Ciuca, Parks Township Police Department

Mr. Shannon called the meeting to order at 7:00 pm following the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag.  Copies of the Agenda, Minutes, Treasurer's Report, and Bill Payment List were posted on the bulletin board for review.  Public comments will be taken at the end of the meeting.  Mrs. Ralston was taping the meeting.

Mr. Filo made a motion to adopt the Minutes of the July 16, 2018 meeting; Mr. Artman seconded it; and, Mr. Shannon made the vote unanimous.  The Minutes will stand as presented.

Mrs. Ralston informed the Board that the PIB (PA Infrastructure Bank) Loan for the reconstruction of Kepple Avenue and the widening and improving of West Penn Road has been paid in full; the loan was taken out July 10, 2010 in the amount of $276,124. 00.  She also provided a Budget Report for January thru August 20, 2018, with all income and expenditures.  We did receive Impact Fees which totaled a  little over $10,000; this was about $3,000 more than last year.   Mr. Filo moved to accept the Treasurer's Report for the month of July 2018 with Mr. Artman seconding it and Mr. Shannon making the vote unanimous.  Receipts were $50,573.15 and expenses were $43,827.37 leaving a total balance of $365,033.58 (General Fund - $108,057.90; Capital Fund - $32,859.57; State Fund - $206,532.73; and Street Light Fund - $17,583.38).

Mr. Filo moved to approve the Bill Payment List for Juy 13 thru August 16, 2018.  Mr. Shannon seconded it and Mr. Artman made the vote unanimous.  Each Supervisor stipulated that his vote did not include anything pertaining to himself or any member of his family.

Ms. Shirley Summerhill was introduced as the new Assistant Secretary; she will replace Mrs. Ralston upon her retirement.


KVWPCA sent a copy of their June 20, 2018 Minutes and a copy of the Plant Manager's Report for July.

PTMA sent a copy of their June 26, 2018 Minutes.

KVWPCA sent notice that the flow study (to confirm flows into the sewer system were reduced and to determine the impact from each of the 13 participating communities) has been completed.  The Board has decided that the debt service fee will be assessed to each municipality at a uniform rate and effective November 1, 2018  the uniform rate of $13.24/month ($39.72/quarter) will  be initiated.   Mr. Shannon commented that he didn't think that was fair, because Vandergrift, Leechburg, East Vandergrift, and Apollo caused the problem; Parks Township has been in compliance all along.  He didn't think we should be paying the same as those communities.  The Board discussed contacting the Plant Manager, or perhaps Mr. A. J. Bione.

KVWPCA sent a copy of their Consulting Engineer's 2017/2018 Annual Report and 2018/2019 Budget.

Mr. Tom Swisher, Armstrong County Dept. of Planning and Development, sent a confirmation letter that the County has submitted a Multi-Modal Grant application to the Commonwealth Financing Authority regarding the proposed 2019 Kepple Hill Paving Project.

MAWC sent a copy of the DEP application they submitted for a GP-11 Permit for water line crossings on Dime Road.  Mr. Filo would like to have another fire hydrant installed further up Dime Road; the Board instructed Mrs. Ralston to contact MAWC to see if they would consider adding a hydrant to the project.


Police Report - Mrs. Ralston read the Police Report for July 1 thru July 31, 2018.

Maintenance Crew - Mr. Artman reported the Crew has been working on Kepple Hill.  Mrs. Ralston gave the Supervisors a list of pipes that needs  installed before the paving can be done next year, and a list of driveways that needs  fixed.  The Parks need mowed, along with the Retention Pond.


Parks Committee - The Free Lunch Program has ended; they had a very nice party for the kids on the last day that was well attended.  They are having a craft show on September 29th to raise money for playground equipment.  This will be their second annual craft show.

Planning Commission - There wasn't a quorum; only two people showed up.


Pump Station Road Update - Senate Engineering is applying for a new permit application.  The DEP has been notified that a decision has been made and that we are moving forward.  Mr. Artman commented that the company will deliver the box culvert and actually set it in place.  Mrs. Ralston commented that they are putting a box culvert on Upper Mateer Road.

Kepple Hill Paving Project - Mrs. Ralston asked the Board to approve paying the invoice if they are satisfied with the paving project.  Mr Filo moved to pay the invoice in the amount of $158,806.56; Mr. Artman seconded it, and Mr. Shannon made the vote unanimous.  The State Auditor was just in and anytime there is an invoice for a project such as this, she wants it voted on at a public meeting.

Truck Purchase - Mrs. Ralston talked with Mr. Tony Galante of F. N. B. Equipment Financing, and they will finance the truck at a rate of 4.2% for a 4-year lease.   We will not have to do a new application as we have just paid off the Police cruiser.

Summer Projects Update:

  • Laurel Road - Pipe Replacement and Removal of Large Overhanging Rock - Nothing done yet.


  • Locust Road Slide - Senate Engineering submitted a proposal for $17,380.00 to do a Topographic Field Survey, Utility Investigation, Construction Cost Evaluations, Erosion and Sediment Control Plan, Design of Repair including Construction Details and Sections Drawings, Technical Specifications, and Bid Documents.  Mrs. Ralston talked with Mr. Gregg Smith at the Armstrong Conservation District and we can get an LVR grant for this; that will pay for the construction.   For the engineering part of it, he suggested that we apply to the County for $15,000 grant to apply to the engineering fee.  The most we could get with an LVR Grant is $15,000 or $20,000 and we would have to have a match for it.  Any slide repair must now have an engineer involved.  Mr. Filo moved to accept the proposal for a cost of $17,380.00; Mr. Artman seconded it, and Mr. Shannon made the vote unanimous. 


  • Kiskimere Park Underdrain -  Not done yet.

  • Kepple Hill Park Drainage - Mr. Bill Braun of Senate Engineering inspected the site with Mr. Filo and  is working on a proposal.

  • Maple Road Slide - Nothing has been done yet.

Security Cameras Dime Building - Two quotes were received:  one from 2 Krew Security for $3,840.00 and one from Dynamark  Security  from 3,985.98 that includes a lock box.  One quote included sales tax, which once subtracted brought the two prices very close. After some discussion, Mr. Artman moved to purchase security cameras from Dynamark Security; Mr. Filo seconded it, and Mr. Shannon made the vote unanimous.  The cameras will be paid for out of the Homeland Security Capital Fund.


Armstrong Conservation District Grant Applications for 2018-2019 Season - Mr. Filo moved to apply for the grant for Locust Road; Mr. Shannon seconded it, and Mr. Artman made the vote unanimous.

Ms. Karen Polka Letter of Resignation from Parks Committee - Mr. Artman moved to accept the resignation letter from Karen Polka from the Parks and Recreation Committee.   Mr. Filo seconded it and Mr. Shannon made the vote unanimous.  Mr. Shannon commented that Ms. Polka always did a good job.

Mr. Scott Kifer Resignation from Planning Commission - Mr. Scott Kifer verbally resigned at the May 21, 2018 public meeting and was to submit a letter of resignation.  No letter was ever received; at least 90 days has expired since then.  Mr. Filo moved to accept Mr. Kifer's resignation effective May 21, 2018; Mr. Artman seconded it, and Mr. Shannon made the vote unanimous.

Tourist Bureau Membership - A letter was received from the Armstrong County Tourist Bureau stating the dues have been decreased from $85.00 to $50.00 and asking that the Township reconsider joining the Tourist Bureau.  Mr. Shannon moved to pay the $50.00 and keep our membership for this year since we are already in the Guide.  Mr. Filo stated he was not going to second it and they weren't happy with previous years.   The motion died for lack of a second.


Mr. Ken Reynolds asked if something could be done on Maple Road between Popovich and Johnson.  The electric company and Steve Knell were both there at the same time with heavy equipment.   Mr. Zeke Summerhill had put a pipe in; our guys ripped it out.  The Supervisors will look at the road.  They will check with Mr. Knell and West Penn Power.

Mr. Paul Duriancik - Mr. Duriancik was upset about the paving on Kepple Hill and had some concerns about safety issues.   He wanted to put the Board members on notice that someone was going to get hurt very badly; it might be a kid on a bicycle, it might be an automobile; it might be a truck.  He called Mr. Shannon on August 1st; he called Mr. Filo and was told the Contractor would take care of it; he called Mr. Artman who never returned the call.  Someone ran off the road on Friday evening into the ditch and into his mailbox.  On the other side of the road, the berm is about one foot high.  The project is wrong; it is a safety issue that needs to be addressed.  If nothing happens here, he intends to call PennDot and see if someone will come down to look at it.  He also plans to call the County Commissioners since they gave grant money towards the project and need to know where the money is being spent and how it is being spent.  He's never seen such a terrible job in his life.  The road is supposed to be 33 feet; the road width is supposed to be 15 feet.   He asked the pavers if they weren't going to pave more and they said no, they were told 15 feet was all they were getting paid for and that's all they were paving.  He has never in his life seen anybody paving in a rainstorm, pouring down rain.  Mr. Filo asked how many people had told him if a truck is ordered, they have to use it.  Mr. Duriancik said he will call PennDot and find out for himself.  Somebody has got to look where the money is being spent.  He is going to take every precaution he has.  He will follow up on this, whether it takes calling his representative, his senator, or whatever.  He told the Supervisors to take off their blinders and look to the left, look to your right.  Some driveways they did okay but some they didn't; some dirt driveways they came in a short distance; others they didn't.  Why?    Mr. Filo stated the driveways weren't finished to begin with.   Mr. Duriancik was upset that Mr. Rob Burkett was the contact person instead of one of the Supervisors.  Mr. Filo commented that we have cold patch and that's what they are putting in now.  Mr. Shannon told him the driveways were being addressed; they haven't been started yet.  Mr. Duriancik asked them to show him another road that looks like that within a hundred mile radius.  Mr. Filo stated there are many places in the Township that have deep ditches; one is at the corner of Pleasant View and Highland at the bus stop; it has been there for years.  There's ditches everywhere that haven't been touched in years.  Mr. Filo and Mr. Shannon both clarified that we are still working on the ditches and driveways.

 Mr. Rich Simpson commented that there are deep ditches everywhere.  Next year, will the streets that are paved be raised up 2 or 3 inches?  If so, that will screw up his curb.  Water is coming up into the street.  Mr. Filo stated that they will ask the paving crew to put a web curb in wherever necessary to keep water off resident's property.


The next regular meeting will be held on September 17, 2018 at 7:00 pm in the Community Building, North Vandergrift.

There being no further questions or comments, Mr. Filo moved to adjourn at 7:52 pm and Mr. Artman seconded it.

Respectfully submitted,


Mary E. Ralston                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Secretary-Treasurer